Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A New Beginning

So, where did Summer go? It seems we just got out but tomorrow, for some reason, we are starting again. Today I spent hours staring at a blank lesson plan book and wondering what I was going to fill it with. I can't seem to remember what to do on the first day. What do I teach? What do the little whipper snappers look like? Are my tables too high? Are the chairs too big? Should I have gone with desks instead of tables? Can they reach the top cubby? How do I make the rules of my classroom, of which there are only three, sound exciting and pleasing? Are they going to cry? Will it feel like the nursery at church when they are all crying and wanting their moms? Do 2nd graders cry? Why can't I remember the answer to all these questions.

I guess it comes down to this: I'm just as nervous for the first day of school as the students. I found a great book called First Day Jitters that talks about a person's first day at school and how she doesn't want to get out of bed, or get dress, or eat breakfast, or brush her teeth, or hurry to the car. At the end of the book the reader discovers that the story has been about the teacher. I feel that way this year. I'll share that with them. Whew! 10 minutes down. 390 minutes to fill. I'm in big trouble. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment