Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Attendance Issues

Seriously, if you've got a kid, you've gotta be smart enough to know that sending them to school is the best thing for them. In fact, if you aren't going to send them to school, or REALLY home-school them, then don't have kids. If you can't get out of bed in the morning to send them to school, and expect your 7 year old it do it themselves, then you shouldn't have brought that sweet child into your life. (I hope that hasn't offended anyone.) Be a parent for heaven's sake.

Ok, that's what I've wanted to tell some parents. Attendance can be such an issue at schools. Our funding is based upon attendance. Also, my worth as a teacher is based upon the students progress in school. If the students don't come, I can't teach, and hence, those parents aren't only messing with their kid's life, they are messing with mine. AND I DON'T LIKE IT!!!! In our school district there is a 10 absence policy per semester. If the student is absent more than that they are to be referred to the Magistrate Judge for truancy. Now, if their is a health problem, or a huge two week vacation on a cruise to Alaska and Hawaii (which has happened) that is one thing. But, if it is just because the parent couldn't get up, then that really ticks me off.

One student in my class had missed 13 days last semester. He didn't ever have the swine flu but his sister did have the stomach flu and an older sister broke a wrist. Why that kept him home I don't know. Our new semester started last week (7 days ago). And so far, he has missed 5 days. Why? His parent's checked him out early last Monday (last week) and he didn't come back until Thursday. Why? Well, they ran out of gas in Idaho Falls. Grandpa couldn't bring them gas until Tuesday night. So, the family got a hotel room (remember they couldn't buy gas) and spent the night. They got home at 9:30 Tuesday night. That was too late to wake him up at 7:30 for school the next day. Instead, he woke up at 7:45 to watch cartoons all day. This week, he has surgery on Wednesday and hasn't been able to come to school Monday or Tuesday. But, he has been outside playing in the snow each day. I know. I got the report from other students in my class and I drove by their house and saw with my own eyes.

This is just a funny (and sad) story. Our secretary calls the homes of all the absent students. Yesterday she called the home of a 3rd grade boy. His mom answered and said, "We are all sick. Everyone in the family has a fever and is still in bed. Could you please send home his homework? And, could you also send home ____'s (2nd grade sister) homework? She is really not feeling good." Then Martha said, "But, (sister) is here." Mom, "What? She's there?" This was about two hours after school has started. The teacher checked for a fever and she did have a whoppin' 99 degree fever. So, the teacher sent her home and I saw her pedaling her little bike back down the road. Come on. It had been two hours and you weren't missing your 7 year old.

Okay. I feel a lot better after having spouted all that out. Whew! This blog is good for my health.

2 comments:

  1. Outrageous! People! If you were my child's teacher, I'd WANT them with you every second possible.
    What does that teach the kids? What are the priorities in their homes!? No money for gas, but money for hotels? Watching cartoons all day? Staying home to be with other people who are sick? Preparing for 2 days for surgery? Ay ay ay.

    Yes, blogging helps me feel better sometimes, too. Do it MORE OFTEN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're in a largely low income area and sadly I see kids sending themselves off to school each morning - usually late - walking through the snow slowly the entire mile to the school. It's really sad, actually. I know our school has the same issues you are talking about. I hadn't thought about it from a teachers perspective. I'm sorry you have to deal with it!

    ReplyDelete