Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Is that German?

I just want to remember this story in case I decide to write a book.

I have a student that really struggles with reading. Her mom called in early during the year and asked what the problem might be. The conversation continued like this.

Mom: Do you think that she might struggle with reading because we only speak German at home?
Me: Ugh. Yeah. Maybe. Does she read in English?
Mom: Well, she tries. But she sees the word in English but translates it in her head and says it in German. Should we stop speaking German?
Me: No. I wouldn't recommend that. Children who speak two or more languages really have an advantage over other students. It can be a real asset. I wouldn't quit. However, she should read in English. That will help her in school.
Mom: Well, we are just going to stop. We won't do it anymore. I was a foreign exchange student in Germany and so I speak it fluently and so that is what we all speak at home. But, I think we will just stop.
Me: That is a decision you need to make. She just needs to read in English.

So, the next day, thinking that it is way cool that she speaks German, I have this conversation.

Me: I hear that you speak German.
Student: Umm. Yeah. I guess so.
Me: That's cool. Can you count to ten for me?
Student: Yeah. But I can only go to six. (Intersting since they "only speak German at home".)
Me: That's ok. Go ahead.
Student: Uno. Dos. Tres. Quatro. Cinco. Ses.
Me: That's Spanish.
Student: Oh!
Me: Can you say mom? Dad? Brother? Sister?
Student: No. No. No. I forgot.

So, I drop the whole conversation and chalk it up to a mother that might be a little unusual. And I'm a lot suspicious. A few minutes after school I get a call from the mom.

Mom: "Student" is telling me stories. She says that you asked her to speak German today.
Me: Yes. I thought it would be interesting to hear a different language. I often ask the Spanish speaking students to tell me words in their language. It is always fun to hear. The students like it too.
Mom: Well, I thought we agreed that "student" wouldn't speak German anymore.
Me: I said that was a decision you had to make. I didn't think that was a good idea.
Mom: What did you ask her to say?
Me: I asked her to count to 10.
Mom: What did she say?
Me: She said that she could only go to six.
Mom: What did she say?
Me: She said, "Uno. Dos. Tres. Quatro. Cinco. Ses."
Mom: (Long pause) That's Spanish.
Me: I know that's Spanish!
Mom: Isn't it amazing what they forget once they walk out the door.
Me: WHATEVER!!!!

Ok. Many other conversations involving German, asthma, and other things have gone on. Most of it I am highly suspect of. I wish I weren't. But, this was the beginning of a very unusual parenting situation. It may all be true. I highly doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment